South Russell Village Public Records Policy
It is the policy of South Russell Village that openness leads to a better informed citizenry, which leads to better government and better public policy. It is the policy of South Russell Village to strictly adhere to the state’s Public Records Act. All exemptions to openness are to be construed in their narrowest sense and any denial of public records in response to a valid request must be accompanied by an explanation, including legal authority, as outlined in the Ohio Revised Code. If the request is in writing, the explanation must also be in writing.
- For the purposes of this Policy, the Terms “public records” shall have the meaning set forth in the Ohio Revised Code Chapter 149.
- Although no specific language is required to make a request, the requester must at least identify the records requested with sufficient clarity to allow the public office to identify, retrieve, and review the records. If it is not clear what records are being sought, the records custodian must contact the requester for clarification, and should assist the requestor in revising the request by informing the requestor of the manner in which the office keeps its records.
- Public records are to be available for inspection during regular business hours, with the exception of published holidays. Public records must be made available for inspection promptly. Copies of public records must be made available within a reasonable period of time. “Prompt” and “reasonable” take into account the volume of records requested; the proximity of the location where the records are stored; and the necessity for any legal review of the records requested.
- Those seeking public records will be charged only the actual cost of making copies. There is no charge for documents e-mailed. The charge for paper copies over 25 pages is 10 cents per page. The charge for downloaded computer files to a compact disc is $1 per disc.
- With any public records request, the Village of South Russell reserves the right to consult with legal counsel prior to the release of such public records. To view the entire Public Records Policy and/or Records Retention Schedule, please see the Fiscal Officer at South Russell Village Hall.
To view the entire Public Records Policy click here